Thursday, August 6, 2009

Things you learn along the way...

Okay, so like I said before, we're learning as we go! Before last spring, I had no clue that we needed to "feed" the plants. I never knew that marigolds are nature's way to keep pests away. I never knew egg shells are the answer. I just figured you dig, throw seeds in and just water. For some, it is that easy, for other things it's a little more difficult.

One thing I realized is how important bees are. I first read how they are needed for corn. With no bees, there's no corn. Now, I realized how extremely important they are to pumpkins. Well, I just found this fantastic article on how to do the pollination yourself if you find yourself deficient in bees. I usually see a few bees chilling out in our pumpkin blossoms. Now I understand what they are doing when they go from one blossom to another. I had no clue there was a male blossom and a female blossom! So tonight I am going to go inspect our "little" pumpkin vine and see how many females we have on there. I know we have lots of males and those males are good for making tempura with! Yum!!!

Off to see what else is worth finding in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment