Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Learning to grow a new life...

When we first started out, we didn't have any idea of what we were were doing. To be honest, we didn't even know if what we planted would even grow. We set out and built a wall on our hill to use up some of the wasted space and made a garden. It started out pretty simple and then grew to take over most of the hill we had. So far we've harvested more the 54 lbs of food and realized we had a bit of a knack for it. Not to shabby for our first year in production.

Now, I'm not saying we know what we're doing now, if fact we don't. Every day I'm wondering if I should do this, or do that. I'm constantly looking up plant diseases and tend to fall asleep with my organic gardening book on my lap. But with all the said and done, I'm amazed at what a garden can do.

The garden not only taught us alot about micro farming but also about our lifestyle. We became more eco-friendly and conscious of what we ate. We exchanged the rice for squash and left the canned tomatoes at the grocery since we had a bush spitting out tomatoes left and right. Snack time meant going to the snow peas and pulling off a few to nibble on before dinner. It's been quite a journey these last few months and can't wait to see what errors we made and what surprises we stumble upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment