Sunday, September 6, 2009

What's zone 9?


Photo Source

One of the things I never paid much attention to was our our first/last frost dates are. I figured, hey we live in SoCal so I can plant what I want, when I want. Right? WRONG! After all the denial, I finally looked it up.

Zone 9 = Average dates Last Frost = 30 Jan / 28 Feb
Average dates First Frost = 30 Nov / 30 Dec

--USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Maps

Basically, this is saying I can probably garden well into November and even push it. We have some BIG BIG plans for the garden next year so it seems like we'll be doing all the renovations in Jan 2010 so we can start the garden in March. What renovations? We are finally going to finish off the retaining walls and put in a new sitting wall on the hill. We are also going to hook up a better irrigation system and build a new trellis for the grapevines and raspberries.

Back the the idea of planting and harvesting. I think I'm pretty much done planting for the rest of the year. What is out there is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment