Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Predators on the loose

Some little predator is attacking my little green plants. I won't get into the massacre of the last lb of lettuce and since i got rid of that I hoped I'd stop the madness. I was wrong. I found little bites and holes all over.

I've used a few little non toxic techniques (bits of hair... i know sounds weird but people swear by this) but think that maybe now is the time to pull out the big guns, if there is such a thing like an organic pesticide.

So I looked online and tonight I will be making my own:

Spearmint-Hot Pepper-Horseradish Spray

This works on many different kinds of bugs- too many to list!

1/2 cup of red peppers (hot) (must buy this tonight)

water (read below)

1/2 cup of fresh spearmint (i wonder if regular mint could work... i got tons!)

1/2 cup horseradish (root and leaves) (where do i get this? the grocery store?)

2 tablespoons of liquid detergent (got it)

1/2 cup green onion tops (i got this too!)

Mix all of the spearmint leaves, horseradish, onion tops and peppers together with enough water to cover everything. Strain the solution. After mixing all of these, add a half-gallon of water and add the detergent also. To use this solution, mix 1/2 gallon of this solution with 1/2 gallon of water. You can use this to spray almost any plant safely. Store this mixture for a few days in a cool environment.

By using household items, we can keep our garden free from pests. Toxins and harmful chemicals do not have to be part of your landscape. Hopefully, this organic cookbook of sorts will help you do just that!


Oh, I'm also going to grab some sticky boards tonight too. I'll try anything right now!

If anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way. I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard dishwashing soap also helps keep some critters away. I'm not a gardener so I can't really help. I just want to commend you for your efforts on keeping your veggies organic!

    ReplyDelete